Human Menopausal Gonadotropins (hMG)
Human menotropic gonadotropins
Humegon ® (mfg. Organon), Pergonal ® (mfg. Serono), Repronex ® (mfg. Ferring)
- Intramuscular injection
- Humegon, Pergonal & Repronex;
- Subcutaneous injection
Demonstrated ovulatory dysfunction with:
- No current pregnancy
- No evidence of primary ovarian failure
- No uncontrolled thyroid or adrenal dysfunction
- No ovarian cysts (except in case of PCOS)
- Used in conjunction with hCG
In women, inducing ovarian follicular growth and maturation. In men, used to treat hypogonadotropic hypogonadism, and to induce spermatogenesis (sperm production).
How does it work?
Possesses hormonal activities of follicle stimulating hormone (FSH) and luteinizing hormone (LH).
- thyroid disease
- ovarian enlargement or cyst formation
- uterine fibroid tumors
- undiagnosed unusual vaginal bleeding
- estrogen levels
- primary pituitary or ovarian failure or enlargement
- evidence of prostate cancer in men
- testicular failure
- renal and hepatic functions
- mid-cycle urine LH test (OPK)
- estrogen levels
- progesterone levels
- mid-cycle ultrasound to detect follicle development
Dosage must be carefully determined for each patient, and may be changed during treatment cycle.
During a fertility treatment cycle in women, from a ratio of 75 units FSH:75 LH to 150 units FSH:150 LH injected once daily for 5 days or more. For male treatment, 75 units FSH:75 LH units three times weekly for several months.
Keep refrigerated. Maintain BBT chart or other recommended cycle charting methods throughout treatment cycle. If self-injecting and miss a dose, take as soon as remember, but not as late as the following day. Do not double doses. Use prepared/mixed solution immediately and discard any unused medication.
Common side effects
- Injection site pain
- Lower abdomen tenderness
- Fluid retention
- Emotional irritability
- Breast discomfort
- Multiple births
Side effects to report to your doctor
- Severe pain or swelling in lower abdomen or extremities
- Shortness of breath
- Vomiting or diarrhea
- Pregnancy Category X: May cause birth defects if used during pregnancy.
- Exercise caution if patient is breastfeeding.
- May result in ovarian hyperstimulation.
- May result in multiple births.
Drug interactions or incompatibility
Herbal preparations using blue or black cohosh.
© Tracy Morris